Content in this frame is from Online Archive of California website
Image courtesy of:
Online Archive of California
(Accession Number 19xx.198 v.7:04)
Clarkâ€™s Station, Near View, Yosemite
Carleton Watkins: The Complete Mammoth Photographs, cat. no. 98
CMP notes: CSL print identified as a Bradley & Rulofson photo. Galen Clark (1814-1910) camped in 1845 at a site near the present-day settlement of Wawona, located about 29 km (18 miles) east of the town of Mariposa and about 24 km (15 miles) southwest of Yosemite Village. He returned in 1856 to build a rustic home for himself that was later enlarged to accommodate tourists and known at different times as Clark's Ranch, Clark's Station, Big Tree Station, and, after 1878, Wawona (Durham 1998, p. 844). John Olmsted's son Frederick Law Olmsted described Clark's as a long, narrow building of one story, facing south and west, about twenty by one hundred twenty feet, with covered stoops front and rear, and doors opening on them from each room. The west room is used as a office (and common room); on the outside hangs the antlers of an elk (Greene 19877), p. 127).
Carleton E Watkins (Nov 11, 1829 — Jun 23, 1916; Active approx. 1853 — 1896)